Tottenham Hotspur has made contact with Juventus over a dramatic swoop for striker Paulo Dybala to form a formidable strike partnership with Harry Kane next season.
The 25-year-old is one of Europe’s most feared forwards and football.london understands Spurs have been been in discussions with the Serie A side about an ambitious move for the £80m-rated Argentine, who is hugely admired by Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino.
Any deal would smash the club’s transfer record for a second time this summer, with chairman Daniel Levy having already signed Tanguy Ndombele from Lyon for £63m this month.
Dybala was part of the Argentina squad which finished third in the Copa America this summer, the striker scoring the winning goal in the 2-1 victory against Chile in the third-place play-off in Brazil.
However, the talented striker will return to a Juventus side where it is believed he will no longer be considered a guaranteed starter under new boss Maurizio Sarri in the wake of a season which brought just five goals in Serie A and 10 in total.
It is believed in Italy that Cristiano Ronaldo’s arrival last summer in Turin affected Dybala’s form and Tottenham have been monitoring the situation with Pochettino’s compatriot this summer and believe that a player previously valued at north of £100m could now be available for less.
While Spurs are considered ambitious outsiders in the chase to prise the striker away from Juventus, with Manchester United, Bayern Munich and PSG also linked with his signature, there is serious interest at Tottenham in trying to pull off what would be a staggering coup by the north London club for one of Europe’s brightest attacking talents.
In the past, Tottenham has attempted to bring in back-up strikers to fill the void left when Kane is out of the starting XI.
Both of their most recent signings for the role, Vincent Janssen and Fernando Llorente, are now no longer members of Pochettino’s squad, with the versatile Son Heung-min and Lucas Moura considered the main strike partners for Kane.
Janssen moved to Mexican side Monterrey this week in a transfer which could see Tottenham eventually pocket £8m while Llorente is now out of contract. Spurs have put a reduced terms contract on the table for the veteran striker should he be unable to find a better deal elsewhere this summer.
Dybala, who is currently on holiday after his Copa America exploits, would be a massive step up in attacking terms and would be considered a bona fide top-class partner for Kane, able to play as a second striker behind the England captain, upfront with him or in a wider role and certainly able to shoulder the burden on the Spurs star.
Two seasons ago the Argentine scored the heartbreaking goal at Wembley which knocked Spurs out of the Champions League last 16.
Pochettino said ahead of that game: “It’s always nice to play against the best in the world.
“I put Dybala in that caegory, because he is a special talent and seeing him on the pitch is wonderful, even if he might cause your team a few problems.”
He did cause them problems that night in London but now last season’s Champions League finalists are plotting an ambitious bid to make him one of their own.
Pochettino’s Spurs squad currently has an Argentinean core with Erik Lamela, Juan Foyth – who played with Dybala at the Copa America – and goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga, while Spurs are also trying to sign another Argentina international in Real Betis midfielder Giovani Lo Celso this summer.
Pochettino hinted to football.london on Wednesday that the club could sign a new striker before the transfer window closes when asked whether 17-year-old Troy Parrott could be part of his plans for the coming season.
“Today, yes [he could be part of the squad], tomorrow, I don’t know. We’re working with the [young] players, trying to provide the best platform and possibility for them to perform and be comfortable with the first team,” he said.